Sunday, September 2, 2007

Few things that ought to be universally acknowledged

All our lives we are searching for something. It could be something related to money, fame, knowledge or, why not, Love. But the real problem with us is that we are never satisfied with our achievements. We will always make the effort to gain fortune, to become important persons and to have a personal life, as well, but it will never be enough. We will always want more. And do you know why? Because this is human nature. We will always be fond of what we don't have or what is extremely difficult to be obtained.

In my case, material temptation didn't influence my life at all. My interest is above all this attempts to make the life easier (which seem to be so important for most of people). But the real thing that did influence my existence is the strong desire of being an educated person. I always wanted to know more than everybody around me. This is the reason why I dedicated my life to study.

To acquire knowledge I made big sacrifices - I sacrificed my time and my energy in order to get something more important: the state of perfection. Unfortunately, I am aware that even if I do know more than the people around me, I don't know anything really important. Why? Because the human condition is extremely limited. And it is obvious that we ought to invest more than time and effort to get beyond the common.

That reminds me of Faust, that legendary character, symbolizing the strong desire of transcending human condition by means of reason. This character represents mankind's effort to get the state of completion and perfection.

Faust had sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for knowledge and power. It sounds equitable for me, because without the Pact, he would never found out the great mysteries that would always remain unrevealed to mortals.

Faust made the supreme sacrifice (he assumed the nothingness risk) in order to gain unlimited knowledge.

Can we do something similar? Can we give up our condition for something different that could define us in a different manner?

No comments: